Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Good plumbing is good for everyone.

I recall a Saturday afternoon, about fifty years ago, when I was complaining to my mother that I had nothing to do. She made a few uninspiring suggestions and finally in frustration said, “Why don’t you hike on over to the church and go to confession?” I responded that I’d been to confession at school the previous Wednesday. “O, come-on”, she laughed. “are you trying to tell me that after three whole days you have nothing to confess?” Yes, in my world sin was a given, but forgiveness was routine.

I’ve often wondered if this is one of the reasons why I’m not one of those Christians who struggles with inordinate guilt. Of course many Catholics do, so regular confession is certainly not the perfect solution. But it seems to me that confession and forgiveness, as part of an ongoing program of spiritual hygiene, should help. I don’t feel guilty about body odour, as though after all these years I should be above that sort of thing. I just shower regularly and put on deodorant.

In Jesus’ day the function of normalizing sin was performed by ritual cleansing. For example, an Essene underwent full immersion baptism every day, and the Pharisees practiced ritual hand washing. Jesus challenged these practices when it seemed they were becoming substitutes for repentance, but he did recognize the value of symbolic cleansing. And he washed his disciples feet in preparation for the great spiritual trial they were about to undergo in his impending crucifixion.

John 13:8-11 "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet."

Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

This little exchange implies that, as we walk in this world, sin and forgiveness are matters of routine. But the reference to Judas also indicates that sin must still to be taken seriously. Though readily available, forgiveness is serious because sin is serious. Again, when we go to the bathroom we wash our hands, not because we’re ashamed, but because we realize that some of the stuff we routinely produce in our lives is dangerous; it can actually kill someone.

“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” Matt 6:12

We forgive and seek forgiveness, not just for our own spiritual health, but for the health of the community. If we are to touch one another for healing we need to be clean. And if forgiveness is to flow through us we must be open to God and one another.

Sometimes people have objected that Jesus seems to be implying that God’s forgiveness is somehow dependent on our willingness to forgive. But he is not implying this, he’s saying it explicitly, and he immediately goes on to reiterate the point. “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matt 6:14-15

God intends us to be channels of forgiveness as well as many other blessings, but a channel, a waterline for example, can be closed off at any point. If I shut off the intake, of course, the flow stops. But the same is true if I shut off the outflow or allow the line to become clogged. But it’s really not that big a deal, just basic plumbing. Or as Jesus told his disciples on another occasion, “Freely you have received, freely give.” Matt 10:8 In other words, just keep it flowing and go with the flow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is interesting. And having grown up in the cathlic church I quite understand where you are coming from with confession. I read somewhere something even more interesting about repentence that may actually tie into this I read that the actual ancient Hebrew word for repentence (don't ask me to repeat it because it escapes me much like chapter and verse in regards to the scripture!) it actually means to change your thinking. To change your mind. So if you are angry at someone and you repent for it the idea is that you change your mind, you are supposed to say sorry for being angry and not be angry or bitter anymore or better yet if you go out on a night of carousing and you repent for it the idea is that you realize: 1) you way over did it and what a mistake!
and 2) you know what you've done wrong you learn from your mistake and you try not to repeat it again.

In this way it is more than an empty gee sorry God! Until the next time you do it again. The same as being judgemental, the same as whatever it is you percieved to have done that would be offensive to God.

Personally I really believe many people spend way too much time bawling at God and not enough trying to live, love, laugh and understand why they are here. The same goes for those who are too tied up in their day to day tedium to recognise the blessings of God when they have them.

I also moreover think that the only way to really offend god is to be self destructive or to do destructive things unto others being people and any of his creation. To be willfully carelessly hurtful or destructive and not care who gets hurt, or understand or even give thanks for the bounty that you are recieving much less know where it comes from or how it gets to you.

Perhaps if everyone took more notice and cared about other people, understood that everything we have and get and do has reprecussions both good and bad the world would be a better place and we'd all be better people and closer to God.

But that's just me and I'm a heretic so what do I know?

Good sermon Pastor Dan!