Friday, December 5, 2008

John (The Lord’s gift)

Sixth Day of Advent

Luke 3:7-9 John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The axe is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire."

You snakes! You sons of snakes! Who warned you to run and hide from God?! And don’t give me any of that “We’re good church folks” talk. “We’re children of Abraham. We believe the Bible.” Do you think I care? Do you think he cares? Look at yourselves! Your lives! All this pretending, and cheap talk, only makes it worse!

Think I’m scary?! I’m nothing! Less than nothing! When he shows up I’m gonna melt like wax, and so are you! And don’t you dare imagine you’re gonna get a second chance. Your second chance has long gone by. Your thousandth chance was years ago.

The fire has fallen in the forest, and even the animals know what to do. Run for your lives! Run to the water, the river, the lake!! Gather up the children and run! And change your life. The one you’re building out of sticks and straw is a fire trap. Build with gold and silver, emerald, sapphire, diamond. Live a life that’s beautiful and fire proof!

That’s how I preached in the wilderness and at the Jordan. And the people came convicted, repentant, fearful, and curious. But they came. And one day Jesus came.

When I saw him I knew he was the One, and I was terrified. I thought he’d come to call down the real fire from heaven, the fire that melts the world. But, he said he’d come to be baptized by me. I said, No way!, but he insisted it was right to be humble and submit to his father. So I baptized him, and when he came up out of the water, the fire I’d been waiting for fell, but not like lightning, like a dove. And the voice I’d been afraid to hear, spoke, but not the angry voice, not judgment, but a whisper like a mother’s voice, proud and pleased. Like thunder, but distant thunder, like a terrible storm that was trying not to break, like a great hurricane that was trying not to blow.

I preached about sin, and I named names. I named the king and I named the sin. I mean, the weasel was living with his brother’s wife and proud of it. He didn’t like what I was saying, but he was such a wimp. The Queen, however, was another story.

Strange folks those Herods, driven by fear of everything but God. So afraid of me he threw me into prison. So afraid of the people he wouldn’t kill me. And while I was there I got wondering if I’d been wrong to preach the way I had. Jesus wasn’t preaching fire and judgment, so I sent some friends to ask him what was going on, and he answered with a scripture I knew well. Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. (Isaiah 35:5-6)

My friends thought he was criticizing me, but I knew what he was saying. The prophet begins, say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.’"

Jesus was reminding us that a shepherd deals with sheep and wolves. God makes some servants gentle, to comfort little lambs. And some he makes wild, to terrify the wolves. Jesus is the shepherd come to comfort. And that's wonderful. But I was raised up to be the shepherds staff. I go ahead of him to clear the way; just an old wolf-whackin’ stick. And that’s wonderful enough for me.

Told you the Queen was a piece of work. She wanted me dead so, in the end, ol’ Herod cut off my head. – Guess, in the end, he was more afraid of her than anything. – But I didn’t care. These eyes and ears had seen and heard about all they could bear. And this mouth had spoken every word that God had given it to speak. If God was done with my head, I figured I was done with it.

Who is like our God? He is a gentle shepherd comforting his people, and he is a consuming fire.

Artwork - John the Baptist - Barry Moser (woodcut)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

AM SO ENJOYING YOUR ADVENT POSTS!!!
p.