Monday, December 22, 2008

The Christmas Tree


Twenty-Third Day of Advent


I have no idea where or when this whole thing started. In fact, I don’t think anyone really knows. But at some point in the distant past someone thought it would be cool to cut down a tree and bring it indoors and decorate it with all sorts of things. Some think it had something to do with offering gifts to the tree gods. Others say it was about encouraging the sun to return from the south. But, as I say, I don’t think anybody really knows. Just somebody’s idea of a good idea. Go figure.


My point is that it wasn’t my idea, or your idea, or as far as we know a Christian, Moslem, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Atheist, Communist or Capitalist idea. There’s some evidence that it all started in Europe, but I doubt that we even know that for sure. The truth is good ideas circulate like cheap ballpoint pens. Who knows where the one they’re using came from, or where their last one went? The best ideas belong to everyone, and no one in particular.


So, if someone wants to take this thing and make it their own the way we did, and if they want to call it a Buddha Bush, a Hanukah Hedge, an Allah Arbour, a Festive Fir or just a generic Holiday Tree, it’s fine with me. And even if they forget where they got it, like we did, that’s fine too. Trees are no more exclusively Christmas things than candles and cakes are exclusively birthday things. With a little imagination they can be lots of things. But, all this being said, for me it is still a Christmas Tree.


Christmas Trees remind me of all the trees that are central to the great biblical epic from beginning to end. There is the Tree of Life, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, found in the midst of the Garden of Eden. (Genesis 3) There is the family tree of Abraham, out of which we are told will spring the Root of Jesse who is Jesus, the Messiah. (Isaiah 11:10 and Romans 15:12) There is the Tree of the Cross, the central tree in the story as I know it. (Acts 5:30, 10:39; Galatians 3:13) And, finally, there is the Tree of Life, replanted in the New Jerusalem in the Book of Revelation. (Revelation 22).


But there’s another thing Christmas Trees remind me of, and this may be what I love about them most. They remind me that when Jesus was born in Bethlehem, my ancestors were nowhere to be found. They were not among the priests or prophets, or even the shepherds of Israel. They were off in Europe somewhere worshiping trees. I am a Johnny-come-lately to the feast, and I still can’t get over the fact that I’m here at all.


But, as Peter declared right at the beginning of the story of the church: “The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off — for all whom the Lord our God will call." (Acts 2:39) What a God we worship! so loving, so generous, so gracious. He invites everyone to come to his great celebration and to bring some things with them that will remind them of where they came from. Some bring art, some music, some dances or theatre or stained glass. And he let us bring our trees.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always loved trees; Treebeard being one of my faves....perhaps ancestors are still influencing me in a subtle way. Now because of this blog, I'll approach the idea of the Christmas tree in a new way....this is a good thing. Cheers, Blake