Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just a little education

Now we have a government established "Do Not Call List" where you can register your phone number so that you'll no longer get irritating phone calls from telemarketers, except charities, polling and market research firms, newspapers and, of course, political parties. Great, a screen door that keeps out everything but flies and mosquitoes. Personally I don't plan to register, though I might be persuaded if they call and ask me to.

This is one of those problems better solved by a little individual initiative than by government. All we really need is a little education about how to use a telephone.

  1. If you don't want to be interrupted during the supper hour, or at any other time, you just turn off the ringer, and check your messages later.
  2. If you do happen to get a call you don't want, at a time you don't want it, you just say, politely, thank you but I'm not interested, and then - this is the really important part - hang up. It's your phone. You don't have to answer it; you don't have to talk.

Now, I say I'm not going to sign up, but here's the kicker. If 90% of you people out there do sign up, the 10% of us left over are going to get all your calls. When my message box is full, and my patience box is empty, I just might end up on the list after all. But, till then, I still think education's the answer.

And while we’re at it, let’s see if we can teach women how to use a toilet.

  1. If the seat's up, put it down.
  2. When you're done, put it back where you found it.

And, if those last few insensitive, sexist comments ever become public, I promise I will apologize and resign.

No comments: