Saturday, March 12, 2011

RETIRED!

I took a bit of a break there, from January 25 to March 10. I would have given advance notice if it had been planned, but it took me by surprise. I guess I just sort of ran out of steam. But I’m feeling rejuvenated so I think I’ll be back at it for a while. Perhaps I’ll just bring you up to date on a few things that have been happening in my life. Might explain why the blogging fell off a bit.

We’re getting ready to move to North Bay, Ontario, to be closer to our two little granddaughters, Maggie and Esther. They are 3.69 and .93 years old respectively. They live with my son, Nathan, and daughter-in-law, Debbie, and it will be great to be closer to all of them.

I also have a son, Mark, who lives in Toronto, about four hours from North Bay. He is lead singer – not sure I’ve actually heard him call it that, but I think that’s what it is – in a band called Pants & Tie. He’s a lot of fun and it will be great to be closer to him. He doesn’t have any children to share with us, but he’s full of amazing thoughts and perspectives, and has done a lot to expand my consciousness. All my kids do that, but he’s a real cultural explorer. I once asked him if he minded that sometimes I don’t quite get his music. “Dad”, he replied, “if you got it I’d have to change.”

We’re leaving Edmonton where we have a daughter, Katie, and our favourite son-in-law, Travis. They have two teenaged boys, Jarvis and Bronson. Great kids, great daughter, great son-in-law, all of whom we will miss.

And we’re moving further away from Victoria where our youngest son, James, lives with his girlfriend, Julie. We will miss them both. There’s something special about each kid you have, but youngests, no matter how old they get, are always youngests.

And all this is happening because I’m retiring. I turn 63 today, and it happens to be the same day my EI claim runs out. I am now officially retired. I always thought I’d have a big party at my church and get a gold watch, or more likely another Bible. – People always think a Bible is a great gift for a preacher, but it’s a bit like giving a hammer to a carpenter. – Anyway, my retirement actually started in the wee hours of the morning, as I sat, all alone, in my favourite chair, clicking a mouse. And another thing... I’ve pretty much worn out my chair so we’re not taking it. O well... This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang but a whimper. (T. S. Eliot – The Hollow Men)

But, as we all know, it’s the way things begin too, and this is the beginning of something, not the end. Cosmologists tell me the cosmos began with a Big Bang, but my little world began with a whole lot of whimpering. I’ve always been that way, so don’t pay me any mind. This is going to be great.

3 comments:

Danny said...

Your girl, grandchildren, God, and Guinness - what more could a man want?

Congratulations on your retirement, Dan!

Anonymous said...

You will always have Bonavista, Dan. Your finest moments as a pastor, and as a mentor to me. Many blessings. Stan

Theresa Kirwer said...

Happy Retirement - stumbled across your blog and realized who you were. You taught in Wetaskiwin many, many moons ago (early 70s if my memory is correct) and I babysat Nathan for you a few times. Sounds like life has been good to you. As a teacher you were a great influence in my life. I really appreciate that and in fact went back to university and am teaching now myself. Enjoy your retirement and your move.
Theresa Kirwer