Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Long Census Form


I’ve been astounded at the uproar created by the government’s decision to make the long-form census voluntary this year. Who are these people who are so committed to being forced, under threat of fine and/or imprisonment, to tell some government agency absolutely anything they want to know about their personal lives? For example:

  • Do you have difficulty walking, seeing or bending? – What might this tell them, apart from whether I’m sober enough to fill out the form?
  • Are you a landed immigrant? Don’t they already know this?
  • What is your race? What is the purpose of the government knowing that? What exactly are they planning to do to, or for me, that depends on what colour I am? And how do I decide my race anyway? Surely it depends on the race of my parents, and their parents, and their parents. How far back do I need to go?
  • What is your Education level? Well, at one time I was a Master of Divinity. Not sure whether I’ve gone up or down since then. Sometimes I’m not even sure which way is up or down.
  • Who do you work for, how many hours do you work a week, what is your income? Now this is just rubbing it in. Don’t I already have to tell the government this, and give them a sizeable chunk of what I earn, all under threat of fine and/or imprisonment?
  • Do you have income from government? Now I’m getting worried. Surely the folks in Ottawa should at least be pretending to know who's getting money from the government?


I understand that statisticians love, and perhaps even need to know all these things about the population. And I also get that some of the seemingly meaningless questions may actually have a valid use. But why do they have to know these things about me personally? Why can’t they do anonymous surveys like everyone else? Why do they need a personalized list of Jews, Asians, people who never went to high school, and people earning more than $100,000 a year or less than $20,000?


And the above questions are only some of the ones they’ve actually asked. What might they decide to ask on this or some future form?

  • Are you a homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, trisexual or other.
  • What exactly is other and how do you do it?
  • Are you married to the person or persons you live with? If persons, please explain.
  • Do you wash your hands after you: pat the dog, handle money, go to the washroom, fill out government forms?
  • Do you ever drink alcohol, and does you imam know?
  • Do you ever buy lottery tickets, and does your pastor know?
  • When was the last time you had a cheese burger, and does your rabbi know?
  • What is the name and address of your pastor, imam and/or rabbi?
  • Have you ever taken a nail file, over-sized bottle of shampoo, or firearms catalogue onto an airplane?
  • Is there anything else you haven’t told us?
  • What exactly are you trying to hide?


Back in the mid 90s I received the long-form census and returned it with several questions unanswered. I don’t recall all of them, but do remember that I was stumped by the race/ethnicity one, being unclear about how much African, Asian, Indian, Polish, Irish or Jewish blood I needed to make me less than pure Aryan.


A very nice lady from Stats-Can phoned to let me know that I’d missed a few questions, and when I said I wouldn’t answer them she reminded me that I had no choice. I, in turn, reminded her that I did have a choice. She reminded me that I’d be fined or imprisoned if I didn’t answer all the questions, and I reminded her that that was the choice.


She called me several times, each time more assertive, and then she told me she would have to visit my home and help me fill out the form. At the risk of revealing more than I really wanted to, I informed her that I was perfectly literate and capable of filling out the form, but that she was welcome to come. She came and we had a lovely visit, during which she confessed that she was embarrassed about the whole business but would still have to turn me in.


I told her that I understood her embarrassment at having to threaten and intimidate her fellow citizens, suggested that she find a better job, and invited her to do her duty if she felt she must. She left, reminding me that this would not be the end of the matter. I never heard another thing about it.


How many people have been charged, fined or imprisoned for not filling out the long-form? How many have reported their job as Jedi Knight on a starship or Master Baiter on a fishing trawler? The truth is, this has always been a voluntary form. You don’t have to fill it out, you don't have to give real answers, and they don’t have to charge you.


Just say NO!!!!!!!!!!



9 comments:

greenwolf said...

excellent Pastor Dan I'll have to remember Jedi Knight. I wonder if Sister of the Rose would do? ;)

Anonymous said...

Good post. Though my anarchist tendencies prompt me to suggest that all of these things actually are the business of the state, which is the problem with the state.

Nathan

Dan Colborne said...

Response to Nathan:

You're probably right, but the whole thing might be becoming irrelevant anyway. When the state decides to stop intimidating people to get the information they want it probably indicates that they've found better sources. In the coming years most governments will probably find it cheaper and easier to just buy their information from Google. Perhaps our government already has.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Is it always necessary to win the argument?

Dan Colborne said...

Interesting question. When I was young I certainly thought so, but I seldom think in terms of winning arguments now; it almost never happens. What I think is important now is that we share our hearts and minds with those around us and try to influence one another in positive ways.

I'd love to know what you think, and what some of the rest of us think.

Anonymous said...

I just found it rather telling that you were more interested in being "right" and grinding this census employee down with cold, clear logic than you were in finding out about her situation. Perhaps she is a single Mom...maybe finding " another job" in a recession is easier for you to say than for her to do.

Dan Colborne said...

Excellent point, and I agree that what I wrote does sound rather cold, and even grinding. As I recall this particular incident, however, I don’t think it actually was. But I have often been guilty of insensitivity so, this particular occasion aside, I would not presume to defend myself on the general charge. I have been guilty far more often than I like to admit.

As I said, we had an enjoyable visit. I expressed my concern for the position she’d been put in, and apologized for the amount of her time my dissidence was taking up. At one point I even inquired as to whether she was only reimbursed for completed forms. I don’t recall what her answer was, but I do remember offering to compensate her for her loss if this was the case, and her laughing the offer off as a bribe attempt.

But your concern raises another important point. Census taking should be a good job, and those who do it should not be put in the stressful position of having to pressure their neighbours with what are, in reality, empty threats. And this is all the more true because many of the people who take on this job need the work and have no good alternatives. The simple solution, of course, is to get rid of the thing that makes the job so hard, namely coercion.

Thanks for your insightful and compassionate comments. Very helpful.

Anonymous said...

I have to interject here Nathan I am an anarchist myself pretty much anti-establishment to the core. This is not the business of the state period. It is none of their business what race, color, creed or sexual orientation I am or anyone else is. I hold no blame for the underlings myself they are after all as was pointed out just doing their job and jobs are not as thick on the land as they once were.

However I have to agree with Pastor Dan that it is not the states business. I saw an article in Mother Earth News that they are trying to pass a law in the States to have every single livestock animal tagged with a computerchip that sends a signal so the gov't knows who has how many animals of what variety, where they are at all times the state of their health etc. Their excuse is they want to ensure prevention and control of infectious diseases however they could offer no answer as to how this microchip was supposed to help stop the disease or control it. This is all done at the owners expense. There is another law trying to go through that will allow them to put lithium in the water supplies of towns and cities all over the states. Right now they are just thinking about it they are talking out loud about it. Can you imagine having mood altering drugs put in your water supply? This is just in the states...so far (well Japan is actually doing it I read up on it some). Of course once it happens in the States it will come here you know that. My point is the government is treating us like so much sheep and guinea pigs it is alarming. What I find even more alarming is the vast number of sheeple out there who really think Big Brother truly loves them. Have you read 1984? If not then DO!
Pastor Dan is absolutely right about standing up to census people. I am sorry if it affects their jobs negatively but for the sake my personal freedoms and privacy and possibly the safety of my family I'm afraid I am less inclined to feel sorry for the person trying to collect information than I am intent on guarding my privacy. No one needs to know this and certainly not someone with power and authority enough to use it against me or mine. But that's just me.

Greenwolf

Anonymous said...

Hey Greenwolf, Pastors ( and Jesus too, if memory serves) are more interested in people than ideas. If you are an idea person, then don't get into parish ministry. There are plenty of jobs available in institutions of higher learning for those who are more interested in being right than they are in caring for an individual. It occurs to me that Jesus might have had a quibble of two about the Roman regime in power during his earthly lifetime, yet he chose the more difficult path of loving fully all those whom he encountered. Save your anarchist bile for some other blog.