Sunday, March 14, 2010

Did you know that March 14th is Pi Day?


Most people probably don’t know this, but the mathematical constant that describes the relationship between the diameter of a circle and its circumference is Pi, representing approximately 3.14 (actually 3.14159265358979323 etc., etc. forever). This means that the circumference of any circle is within an infinitesimal smidgen of its diameter multiplied by 3.14. Of course many of you are inwardly protesting “I KNEW THAT!!!”, and you probably did. We all “knew” that. But lately I am becoming increasingly aware of the difference between knewing and knowing. Which is, of course, why we have Pi Day. Today, and for the next few weeks, we’ll all know what we once knew about Pi. Over the next year, of course, we’ll come to knew it again, and then next March 14 (3/14) we will all know it again for a while. Education is a wonderful, if fragile, thing.


But now here’s something I’ll bet most of you don’t know, and never knew. Albert Einstein was born on March 14, Pi Day. Of course the only thing that makes this interesting is that he was a mathematician and Pi is mathematics. He doesn’t really have any more to do with Pi than you or I but, like most coincidences, it all happens in your head.


Some people say there is no such thing as a coincidence, implying that there is an unseen mind behind all of the “coincidences” they observe. And they actually have a point. Many, if not most coincidences are simply illusions, tricks of the mind. And the mind behind them is your own.


So “Happy Pi-day!” to all, and “Happy Birthday!” Albert Einstein, wherever you are. And I trust that isn’t cake beneath all those candles.



1 comment:

B Holt said...

You made my head spin; but then when mathematics are in the equation it doesn't take much with me. And anyhow, I prefer cake. Does remind me of a song lyric from the Raconteurs; "When I was young I thought I knew. You probably think you know too."
I need to re-read that now.