Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Do I love my country? Of course I do. But why?

As I said at the end of my last posting, I’m not expecting everyone, or even anyone, to agree with me about any of this. Even when I read over what I’ve written, I think some of it sounds like a major stretch, and much too alarmist for my taste.


Occasionally I consider giving up this silly personal protest, but then I get thinking about the incredible damage that nationalism does, what Gordon Lightfoot called “The patriotic fever, and the cold steel that kills”. I see the astonishing things that good people can be led to do to others, seemingly without thinking about it, and I wonder how they got there. And then I wonder if saying things together about themselves and their country that they would never thoughtfully say, might have prepared them to do things together for themselves and their country that they would never thoughtfully do. And then this sinister little voice inside suggests that, perhaps, that’s what this anthem singing is really all about. And I’m right back where I started, standing with my mouth shut.


But, all this being said, I do believe that love of country, like love of family and community, is a good thing. And I believe that this love, like all love, needs to be expressed. But it needs to be articulated carefully, thoughtfully.


When my children were small we had a little ritual they enjoyed. I would say “I love you”, and then I would ask, “Do I love you because you’re beautiful?”, and they would answer, “Noooooooooooo!”. “Do I love you because you’re smart?” “Noooooooooooo!" “Do I love you because you’re good?” “Noooooooooooo!" Then I might add a few current things like because you made your bed, or won a prize. And to each the stock answer was, “Noooooooooooo!” “So, why do I love you?”, I would eventually ask. And they would answer, “You love me because I’m me”.


This little game may seem a silly thing, but it’s actually one of the best things we ever did together. It reminded us that we love each other simply because I am their daddy and they are my kids. And so, regardless what they might become: beautiful or ugly, wise or foolish, good or bad, or what they might achieve or fail to achieve, this one thing will be forever true. As long as I am their daddy and they are my kids I will love them.


In 1918 a young Jewish immigrant to America, Israel Isidore Baline, wrote the simplest little song to express his love of country; unashamedly sentimental, and unapologetically a prayer. He was already a published song writer with a couple of hits to his credit, and one super-hit, Alexanders’ Ragtime Band. But this song he put away, and it didn’t see the light of day for 20 years.


As I say, it is a simple song, particularly for a song of this kind. But, far more than that, it is humble, a quality very rarely found in national hymns. There are no “ramparts” or “bombs bursting in air”. There is no “sending victorious”, not even one “glorious”, no “standing on guard”. His original begins with a spoken introduction reflecting the historical context of 1938, the year it was released, and the song says everything anyone need ever say in a national hymn.


While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.


God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with a light from above
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam

God bless America, my home sweet home.
God bless America, my home sweet home. – Irving Berlin


I am grateful for my country, and committed to it. And I pray for its protection and guidance. But why? Because it's a great country, a large country, a rich country, a good country? Because we see it rise strong and true and glorious? Because someone has convinced me it's the land of the free and the home of the brave? No. I am committed to it, and pray for it, because I love it. And I love it because it’s my home; just because it’s my home. And as long as it's the land of my family and loved ones, and thus my home, I will continue to do so. Any more than that is less.



No comments: