Thursday, January 1, 2009

Well, here we go again.


As I sit here this morning, thinking about the new year, I’m reminded of a man I once heard of who became frustrated with his lack of progress in dealing with a particular sin in his life. He was Roman Catholic and had confessed this matter many times, but this time when he went to confession he poured out his frustration. “I’m completely fed up”, he said, “and this is the last time I’m going to confess this sin. If it doesn’t work this time I’m not coming back to confession.” The Priest thought for a moment and then replied gently, “Well, I suppose, if you think that’ll help.”


As I begin 2009 I find myself, as usual, thinking about resolutions. And, as usual, I experience mild exasperation as I notice that the things I’m resolving this year I’ve resolved before. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the word itself. Life being what it is, or more to the point, we being what we are, things that we solve seldom stay solved. We can expect to resolve them many times. To stop resolving is just giving up, and it’s hard to see how that will help.


Mark Twain said, “It’s easy to stop smoking, I’ve done it hundreds of times.” And, in the spirit of Mark Twain, I’m resolving to keep on resolving. I’m going to keep stopping the things I should never have started, and starting the things I should never have stopped. And I’m going to begin by stopping being frustrated that I started again what I stopped before, and that I stopped what I’d started.


Yes, I think I’ll start there… and stop here.


H a p p y N e w Y e a r ! ! !



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I sure do miss theological discussions with my favourite - thought provoking - pastor.

I have been thinking alot lately about the parallel I am seeing between thanklessness and depression. I almost hate to use the word depression as it is probably too strong... so help me out.

I was gratefully overwhelmed by my son's gratitude for the vacation that I provided for him. It's not that I was owed the gratitude, but the gift of it really gave me a joyful and thankfull heart towards God. And I have watched for some time here closer to my home scene (maybe house scene would be more accurate), the lack of thankfulness all around... is there a direct correlation to the dissatisfaction expressed? I am guessing so.
I am horrified to think of the perhaps thousands (would millions be exaggerating?) of times I neglected to say thank you, or acknowledged that there were thousands of things to thank Him for; done for me "behind the scenes".

He is continually kind and gentle with me. My hope is to remain thankful and practice thankfulness... I believe it will be a necessity in 2009.

Blessings on you both,
P