Monday, April 21, 2008

Wondering What You Think

A few weeks ago a young man asked me what I thought Eckhart Tolle. Well, the name was familiar and I knew he was a writer, but I had to admit I didn’t really know much about him. He went on to say that he was pretty impressed with Tolle, and I went on to say that I’d check him out. Google, a few mouse-clicks, and about 20 minutes revealed oodles.

Tolle lives in Vancouver, at least some of the time, calls himself a “spiritual teacher”, wrote a best seller, The Power of Now, and his latest book is titled A New Earth. All very cool, but as most writers know, you can’t make a living writing spiritual books. O yes, he also knows Oprah, she thinks he’s wonderful, and they’re doing an internet video class together. Somehow I think he’ll do very well.

Now, I’m not promoting Eckhart Tolle particularly, but I am fascinated by the shifts we are seeing in the spiritual landscape of the early 21st century. Of course it’s too soon to tell if this man will be a significant player, but over two million people have joined the internet class. And when I look at what we’ve done to the old earth, a new earth does sound pretty attractive.

Of course, you can’t please all the people all the time. For example, some organization called “Our Eyes Are Open Ministries”, has a video on YouTube entitled “The Church of Oprah Exposed” in which they vilify Oprah for becoming a new age guru. And an internet evangelist named Bill Keller has actually taken to calling Oprah “the most dangerous woman in the world”. Personally I think that’s a little over the top – he never saw my mother coming at him with a woman spoon in her hand – but, hyperbole aside, he certainly expresses some serious concerns.

I’ve watched a bit now, and I’ve read A New Earth, and I’m beginning to get some idea what Tolle’s about, but what do you think of all this? Have you read any of Tolle’s books? Are you following Oprah’s New Earth Class? Is Tolle teaching good things? Is this something Christians should be particularly worried about? Does any of it matter at all? Pleas share a comment, or if a comment on the web is a bit too public for you just drop me an email.

dan.colborne@gmail.com




No comments: