Saturday, December 8, 2007

Touched by an Angel

One day, while Zechariah was burning incense in the Temple in Jerusalem, an angel appeared and told him that he and Elizabeth were going to have a son.

Luke 1:18 Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years."

19 The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. 20 And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time."…

23 When his time of service was completed, he returned home. 24 After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. 25 "The Lord has done this for me," she said. "In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people."

Isaac, Samson, and Samuel were children born to barren women, so Zechariah’s well aware that God can do this. But that he will do it “in these days” for him and Elizabeth, is quite another thing. And, in his confusion and doubt he asks the angel for a sign. This may seem like no big deal to us, but it’s a delicate request, rather like asking the angel to produce some ID, which is exactly what Gabriel does. "I am Gabriel”, he declares. “I stand in the presence of God,…”.

The name Gabriel means, “God is great”, and Zechariah, who’s name incidentally means “God remembers”, is about to get a sign of the greatness of God that he won’t soon forget. He has spoken too quickly and too freely, but he won’t speak again for a while. His mouth will be closed until Elizabeth’s womb is opened. Then, as this new prophet comes forth from Elizabeth, prophecy will pour forth from Zechariah. (Luke 1:67-79)

I must confess, there’s something in me that wants to say, ‘Hey Gabe, lighten up a bit’. But could it be that this is why Luke begins with this startling, even troubling account? Maybe we’ve all seen too many fat baby angels and grandfather Gods. Perhaps, from the outset, Luke wants to put us on notice that talking to angels and serving God are very serious matters. And perhaps what I really should say is, ‘Hey Zack, get a grip, remember who you’re dealing with’. You see, Moses failed to take God seriously and never entered the Promised Land. (Numbers 20:7-12) Jacob was ‘touched by an angel’ and it crippled him. (Genesis 32:25)

No comments: